Friday 25 April 2008

Of GPR's and Soul Destroying

Not posted in a while so allow me to summarize what I have been up to. Not a huge amount. This week kicked off with the placement briefings for the second years here at SM. That's going ok, after doing the myBU inductions at the start of the year it's a piece of pie now. Plus it takes me like two minutes to do.

However I have received a little criticism from two people who shall remain nameless in case an angry mob decides to hunt them down. I've been told that I wasn't positive enough. See, it's hard to be positive about things when you know that it's not going to get used a lot. I mean, I take pride in all my work, even this. But it was incredibly easy to set up, easy to populate and now I know, because I hate myBU too, that hardly any of the students are going to use it simply because they won't think they need it. They have the hard copies of everything and even if they lose them they will only go hunting for another copy if they think they need to.

So how can I be positive? At the end of the day, I'm showing them it's their and making them aware just in case.

Other than that barrel of laughs I've been playing with another large barrel of laughs, dissertations. I've been given a little stack to go through (electronic versions) and take out all the pictures, etc that haven't been sourced properly or aren't needed. Soul Destroying. And just crap to be honest. I'm an IT student, not a typing monkey. If I knew that I didn't have to do it I wouldn't. But we need to keep our jobs don't we? Still it's not taking me too long to do them and I only have a few left, though those few are PDF's so I'm having to convert them to DOC's first. Honestly, why can't it be specified to hand in in both formates? Bah.

Finally, Half Life 2 is awesome. It's taken me a long time to play it (3 years...) but I have finally bought it and wow. It's completely amazing. I think it's an almost perfect game. The graphics are spot on, the physics are amazing. Voice acting is good. And the episodic releases after the main game is a brilliant idea. It's only of those games where you need to know what happens after the main game ends. We can only hope (and pray, we have to pray) that Ep.3 comes out fairly soon!

Then of course we will be waiting over half a decade for HL3 of course... hahaha.

Btw, if you don't get GPR it stands for Gordon Propelled Rocket. It's an achievement in HL2:Ep2.