Wednesday 5 March 2008

Of Sketching and 3D

Not much has happened since my last post. Still waiting to find out the details of my new tasks. I have, however, found out the true extent of what it is I am supposed to be taking on from someone else. A lot more than I was originally told. A lot of stuff I am also pretty uncomfortable taking on. But you don't want to hear about that. You want to hear about what I've been sketching. In 3D.

Google Sketchup. Wow. I'd heard about it before and seen a few of the 3D models people have created using it and put onto Google Earth. But I didn't realise how simple it is to use. It really is fantastic. In one day I've learnt how to do a fair amount in it and also built (almost finished) a house as well. All the small things they have put in it to make it easy and quick to use is just outstanding. Some ideas can be a little odd to get used to, especially if you have used other 3D programs before. But it's got an extremely easy learning curve so you can pick it up in no time.

The amount of detail and what you can create with it is excellent. There are also plenty of ready build components (by the community) that you can download from the Google "3D Warehouse" such as sofa's and chairs and cars and all other manner of things.

If you haven't tried Sketchup then I highly recommend you do, even if you aren't into CAD or 3D modelling. Just try it. Make a 3D model of your monitor just to try the program, it's simple amazing!

By the way Google, you can pay me if you like for brown-nosing Sketchup so much.

Why am I trying it out though? Because you can map photos to the models you build and thus Andy is hoping we can build some 3D, photorealisticly textured models to use in our virtual projects. I just love playing with it!

Google Sketchup