Tuesday 21 August 2007

Of Linux and Trailers

Just to cover what happened at work today. Had a meeting with Andy's boss about doing a student placement website within Blackboard. Looks like it's going to be pretty straight forward. Can't see any massive problems with it. Spent an hour or so going through different tools, etc with a guy called Tim that I can use in BB for this project.

Now on to todays content... Linux. Namely Kubuntu. Decided I'd chuck it on my laptop as a dual partition with Vista. So far I've had no problems booting into either or using the grub booter. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE window manager instead of Gnome. I personally prefer KDE as I think it looks a little better. Ubuntu has been heard alot recently as the 'easiest' distro of Linux to use. It's supost to be a good point at which to transfer over from Windows to Linux. So far I must say I've been fairly impressed. I've used what used to be Mandrake Linux and Debian (of which Ubuntu is based upon) before. I found both to be great distros. However, from a 'how the hell does this work?' stand point, Ubuntu beats them. The main version you can download is the Desktop CD. This is a Live CD which means it can be chucked into your CD/DVD drive (it's only a normal CD, so pretty small compared to some others that are now on DVDs). This boots up into Ubuntu (or Kubuntu in my case) so that you can give it all a good long test run. If you like it installation is as simple as clicking the "install" icon on the desktop. You choose a few options such as language and time zone and it does the rest. A reboot later you have Linux installed and ready to go.

I'll post more about it as I use it, but as I say. So far it's looking good!

Now, onto something completely different... has anyone seen or heard about this mysterious trailer thats been playing in cinema's recently? It's produced by JJ Abram, the co-creator of Lost. You can view it by going here. As yet nothing has been released about it. Plenty of rumors and ideas are running wild from a robot film to a remake of Godzilla to a brand new monster. Some people think that the guy towards the end of the trailer (as they all run outside) is shouting "it's a lion! It's huge!". Personally I hear it as "I've seen it, it's alive! It's huge!". Which makes more sense to me, why would they drop "it's a lion" in a trailer that is designed to give nothing away?

What ever happens, it's grabbed my attention. Really looking forward to seeing more about it!