Wednesday 29 August 2007

Of Feisty Fawns and Gusty Gibbons

Ubuntu users out there will recognise the title as flavour names of Ubuntu Linux. Recently, as you'll know if you read it, I have installed Kubuntu on my laptop. This, however, messed up today. Not quiet sure why or how but it did. So the reinstalling began again and again... and again... and again... and, well you get the picture. Namely my graphics drivers keep messing up then Compiz Fusion messes up and I have to reinstall everything. Tain't great really. Anyways, I've now decided to use Ubuntu to see if this works a little better. The difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu? One uses KDE and one uses Gnome as the windows manager, I'll let you work out which uses which.

I've had to reinstall twice so far because it lost a compiz package and then wouldn't reinstall it because of dependancies. Still fingers crossed this time!

For those interested I'm currently using version 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). Though looking to upgrade to 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon) once it's stable! Ubuntu has also released the name of their next flavour (surely they should move out of Alpha on the last one before doing that...?), it's called 'Hardy Heron'.

Well, wish me luck in getting my Fawn to work with beautiful eye candy! Ifyou haven't seen Compiz then I suggest you search it on You Tube and take a look, puts anything Windows and Mac users have come up with to shame...