Monday 20 August 2007

Of XML and JavaScript


Today I've been playing with the Yahoo! Widgets a little more. Infact, I've ripped one apart to take a look inside to see what makes it tick. Mostly, XML. With JS sprinkled here and there for painful, twisted satisfaction.

However, I have found that they are fairly simple! The Widgets are built from the ground up in XML, positioning of the images you create in Photoshop can be automatically set using the script that Yahoo! have created. It runs directly through PS and creates all the folders and basic XML code for you. Then all you need to do is add some more plus a little bit of JS to give it functionality. In fact, I created a CPU watcher (gives percentage in use).


It's basically three layers of images with the XML+JS creating the text. It has some basic "options" with it as well. Again these are all set up via XML. It's such a simple platform to build from that it's almost a pleasure to use!

Anyways, I'll be positng again later about my job description and the Web 2.0 meeting I have today.