Tuesday 30 October 2007

Of HTML and CSS

Well past couple of days I've been coding the front page to the VSC. For now I've named it "mySC"... dunno if that will hold haha. Still, the design of it looks really nice. I'm very pleased with it. Works with the Uni's marketing guidelines but it has a Web 2.0 touch as well which is quite nice.

Taken me ages to code it though as I haven't worked with HTML or CSS for a while. The PHP side of it is going to be fun when I eventually get around to that. But we need to set up a server for it all before I get into server side stuff. For now you just hit the login button and it automatically goes straight to the VSC.

I'll try and post a picture of the design in the next couple of days, I need to rework the slices a little so I'll export a full preview at the same time. I may even try and rework the entire site to use div's instead of storing the layout in a huge table. I know it's bad practise but it's quick and easy at this stage.

I'd also like to state how bloody annoying it is that IE* and FF render sites so differently. Why can't MS just render the code normally like most other browsers? Causes such huge discrepancies in the site that you can't get it to look right in both browsers without some bad coding practise! Sometimes I guess your tools force you to do bad things eh? For a change, it's not my fault! Yays!